Monday, January 18, 2010

Alice it's fabulous, love Eva!

Our cousin Alice Addison taught my Nanna how to make Butternut Squash Bisque (no mere soup for this girl!) years ago and it has been a favorite of my parents and family ever since. When my Nanna came to care for me this weekend (while Peebo was busy helping my parents shovel the junk into a truck for delivery to the dump, and other treasures to the Re-store for resale) she thought it was time to introduce me to Alice's fabulous soup. It was an instant hit and I simply couldn't wait for Nanna to get it out of the pan and into a bowl before I laid into it with MY spoon (see me in the picture ) and I wanted you to know that I had 2 more bowls full before I signalled enough! Thanks Cousin Alice ... anymore recipes like that you want to share ... please feel free to do so.
love, Eva
P.S. Nanna included the recipe in case there are others who have a hankering for Butternut Squash Bisque on a winter's day.

ALICE'S BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE
2 T unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tart apples peeled, cored and chopped coarsely
2 Bartlett pears,peeled,cored and chopped coarsely
1 Buttern
ut squash - about 2-21/2 lbs- peeled and chopped.
4 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/2 t.powdered or fresh ginger

2 T. brown sugar (optional)
salt and pepper to taste ... sour cream and chopped walnuts for garni
sh (optional)
Saute the onions in the butter ... add everything else to the pot, bring to the boil and reduce heat and cover and cook till the squash is tender. Cool slightly then puree in batches till smooth. Gently reheat and enjoy, topped if you wish with a dollop of sour cream and chopped walnuts.

My Cousin Alice

3 comments:

  1. Ill try this out, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Alice is going to kill you for putting such a large photo of her on the web.

    ReplyDelete